Before I went on my vacation to Costa Rica this year, my friend, who was already there, had e-mailed me, raving about this cinnamon iced tea she was drinking every day after her workout. Of course on my first day there on vacation we went to the gym and afterwards straight to the “wonder tea” place.
It was just as good as she said it would be. Spicy, sweet, and very refreshing, but the most amazing thing was that there was NO sweetener in it.
There have been plenty of studies that suggest all kind of benefits from taking cinnamon:
- reduce “bad” cholesterol
- reduces inflammations
- contains antioxidants
- and the aroma of cinnamon can actually boost brain function
Maybe the most important benefit:
- cinnamon contains a water soluble polyphenol compound (MHCP) which may help the body to improve the use of insulin.
I love this cinnamon tea recipe because it doesn’t need any sweetener. Since it has no caffeine, it also keeps me well hydrated.
Here is how I make it:
- Fill a medium size pot with 2 quarts water and bring to a boil
- Once water is boiling, add 1 ounces of Cinnamon sticks
- Continue cooking for 10 minutes
- Then turn off the burner and put the lid on on the pot
- Let the tea sit for 1 hour ( or longer )
Once the tea is done you can pour it in glass bottles and store in your refrigerator. You can drink it right out of the bottle or with ice.
Sunny regards, Anke